Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Thursday 19 July 2007

Trip to Aberdour.







I usually go racing to Tobermory on the west coast at this time of year but for the second successive year, I have had to bow out (no pun intended) due to work commitments. My oldest pal Alastair, that's him at the helm, however came to the rescue and invited me out on his new boat, Sonsie. It was only the second time I've sailed on the Forth and I was extremely surprised at how busy the shipping lanes are. When you get close up to some of these tankers, it is clear to see how dangerous it could be at sea, especially at night. One of the smaller islands had the look of a battleship. Alastair told me it had been made to look that way in order to try and fool the Luftwaffe into thinking it was a possible target.


We dried out in Aberdour Harbour in Fife and enjoyed a few beers and great food in the local pub. It is hard to believe, that only a few miles away on the other side of the river you find the capital city. Aberdour and the views it affords over the Forth could be anywhere. All in all a very relaxing sail and certainly not what I am used to. Can't wait for the next one.

No comments: