Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Tuesday 10 June 2008

Harry Benson, A Must See Exhibition.




If you like photographs, then you must get to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery where you can see an exhibition by, in my opinion, the greatest living all round photographer in the world today.

Since I started taking photographs some forty years ago now, I have always greatly admired Harry Benson's work. He is equally at home covering a hard news event as he is taking portraits of Clint Eastwood.

When I was working in New York back in the eighties, I thought it would be a good idea to contact his office and see if I could meet up with him. To my utter astonishment I got a phone call a few days later with an invite to his apartment in Manhattan.

We had a long conversation about photography in general and he told me many tales of his exploits from the past, in particular his early days in the sixties where he had exclusive access to the Beatles on their meteoric rise to fame .

I asked if I could take a photo of him beside his iconic photo of the Beatles having a pillow fight in their hotel room in Paris just after they found out "I Want To Hold Your Hand " had topped the American charts. " Sure", he said, " As long as you take one of me and my wee dug".

The one thing we both had in common, was retirement. Neither of us had any real concept of what it meant and would both keep going until we couldn't pick up a camera any more. It was a real buzz for me to get advice from someone with his track record.
He was very modest about his achievements but when you are in his presence, you know you are with someone who has seen a lot.

I strongly advise that you don't miss his exhibition.

1 comment:

Catherine Nelson-Pollard said...

Darn, I've no trips planned to Scotland this year. Wonder if the exhibition is touring? It looks great.