Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Friday 12 September 2008

A Treasure Chest Of A Find.






One of the most amazing things happened to me a few days ago. I was looking for a heavy duty drill that I knew was somewhere in the old family garage in Clydebank.

Whilst rummaging around on my quest, I found an old wooden box and inside another box within, I found 12 old packets of original Kodachrome mounted slides which had never seen the light of day for nearly 50 years.

When I started to examine them on the light box, I was quickly overwhelmed with emotion as many of them had colour images of me, my sister, mum and dad and many relatives long since departed.

They were all taken in the late 50's and very early 60's and because they had been kept safe from the light and the elements, were are all in remarkable condition.

If any of you have ever experienced finding photographs of yourself at such an early age that you never knew existed then you will know what I'm banging on about. I have posted up some taken with my sister and my favourite, with dad oiling the old push type lawnmower. It wouldn't be fitting not to start with mum and dad.

I am always telling people that every time you take a photograph you are capturing a wee piece of history. If this doesn't prove that point, then I give up.

A truly remarkable find.

1 comment:

Laura Scott said...

The photo of the two children in the sea made me smile - I remember family photos where I too was in the sea with my skirt tucked into my knickers!

My mother in one of her fits of temper, divided the family photos amongst the five children and posted them to us. My eldest sister's envelope arrived through the letterbox on a rainy day, the soggy envelope disintigrated on the hall carpet. She was distraught. The photographs sent to one of my other sisters, who has since died, are now lost or destroyed by her husband. That is very sad. My photos - I know not where they are now.

Your photographs have made me think about our busy lives and how there are very few photographs of our children who are 13 and 17, growing up. I hate holidays, of course the very place we are supposed to take photos as mementoes of happy times.

Your photos are very much food for thought.