Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Tuesday 24 March 2009

Local Hero.




I watched a programme on the TV recently about the making of the classic Bill Forsyth movie, Local Hero. Most of the movie was shot in the picturesque village of Pennan on the north east coast of Scotland. In the past, I was a regular visitor and it was a weird experience seeing it again as I haven't been back for many, many years.

The world famous signature tune, "Wild Theme", was written by the brilliant front man of Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler.

In 1983, I was working in Melbourne and remember going to the Aussie premier. That was also a weird experience. Here I was 14,000 miles away watching a very familiar place on a big screen starring Burt Lancaster and Fulton Mackay. Fulton was an old school friend of my late mother and I remember meeting him regularly when I was a wee boy.

These nice and grainy, 800 ASA rated B&W shots of Mark Knopfler were taken at a gig in Melbourne shortly after. I remember it well, his genius with a guitar had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

Ye canny beat the old B&W for atmosphere!

No comments: