Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Thursday 14 October 2010

Commonwealth Games Handover Spectacular.





















































I watched the official handover of the Commonwealth games from Delhi to Glasgow today with great interest as a couple of weeks ago I had been commissioned to photograph much of the preparation and choreography for the ceremony here in Glasgow. In the past, I have covered three Commonwealth Games as a sports photographer so it was interesting for me to see all the hard work and preparation that goes into the closing ceremonies.

Until today I had been sworn to keep it all under wraps. Over 350 people from all over the country took part and I witnessed the first inflation of the giant "Armadillo". It was astonishing to see such a huge structure taking shape so quickly and all done by leaf blowers. All in all, about two weeks of hard work went into the rehearsals all of which was done well out of sight from everyone not involved.

What can I say ?

It was a very spectacular display by everyone concerned and I'm sure it has gone a long way to showcase Glasgow on the world map.

The Games will be here in four years.

No comments: