Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Thursday 26 July 2007

Woodstock Legend Plays Glasgow's ABC.






What a gig!

Ritchie Havens, veteran of the first Woodstock 38, yes, 38 years ago played a very intimate gig at the ABC2 tonight. Now I have to admit, it slipped past my radar and I only found out about it a few days ago and didn't have time to arrange a photo pass. On arrival I was told " Nae camera's mate". Now after many years of blagging my way into gigs with my old pal Tom Morton, I learned a hard lesson. Never, ever, ever,ever try and negotiate with a Rock Steady security man as it is a complete waste of time. I duly put my cameras into security storage. Not to be deterred, I borrowed my girlfriends teensy weensy Lumix camera. Now this machine is not for somebody with big banana hands like me but the results were great under the circumstances.

I remember listening to Ritchie and the likes of Nick Drake, King Crimson, Spooky Tooth in the late sixties on my old Dansette record player. Aye, those were the days! None of my schoolmates could get it and thought I was weird as the Beatles were supposed to be the only band worth listening to. I never really liked the Beatles. Now the Stones on the other hand, no, let's not get sidetracked and get back to tonights gig. Ritchie has lost none of his rich gravelly
tones in fact, like most of his generation who are still touring, I would say, like a vintage wine, has improved with age.

He told the audience of his dismay that some scientific boffins had announced recently that Pluto was no longer a planet. A reassuring retort from the audience immediately came back. " Don't worry mate, everyone knows Pluto is only a dug". Only in Glasgow, but it did give him a laugh. Ever the gentleman, he blew his nose behind his guitar, played a final number and bowed out gracefully. Fantastic stuff.

No comments: