Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Monday 27 August 2007

View From The Top.













On Sunday I walked up to the top of "The Dumpling", or Duncryne Hill to use its proper title. Situated at Gartocharn it is an easy walk of half a mile to the top and affords great views over the islands on Loch Lomond. I had earlier in the year made the journey to the top of Ben Lomond, which was looking down on me from a distance. Getting to the top of the "Ben" is an entirely different task than conquering the "Dumpling". Never confuse the two.

Shortly after arriving at the summit, I saw my first Robin of the year. I can't remember seeing one this early, ever! It scoffed a piece of bread and disappeared into the ferns.

Next stop was Balmaha on Loch Lomond. I remember going regularly as an early teenager with my old pals. We would hire a clinker from the boatyard, complete with "Seagull" outboard and take off to the islands for a weekends fishing. The old fleet is still there but I noticed that they now have go faster Mercury machines, Ah! the romance has gone. Some of the old boats still ply the Loch and keep that romance alive, you only have to look at the woodwork and compare the old with the new to see what I am talking about. Right, time to stop talking like "Old Father Time". My wee dog was having trouble tackling the jetty and I had to pick her up on the way back. I thought the warning on the third last board on the jetty was a bit obvious. Surely it wasn't there for that said same obvious reason?
































In the car park I spotted some Harley Davidson's parked up. I particularly liked the
customised finishes on one of them. I had a picture in my head of a big rough, tough leather clad biker sitting astride the beast, then I noticed the Sunday paper strapped on the back. Probably a lawyer or university lecturer, not that I have anything against either.

No comments: