Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Tuesday 4 March 2008

Singing For Their Supper !



I have always maintained that if you can play a musical instrument well, you will never starve.

I have also always admired buskers. They go out in all weathers, usually on their own
and try their best to entertain people rushing past.

I was in Buchanan Street in Glasgow on Sunday and wafting its way down the precinct was a nice cover version of Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street. I had to investigate and sure enough, half way up these guys were in full flow. They were great. The saxophonist
was really enjoying himself and so was the gathering crowd. I stayed for a couple of tunes but it started to rain really heavily. I dropped a few quid in their drum box and headed off to Sloan's Bar for a heat and some lunch. You had to admire them.

3 comments:

Catherine Nelson-Pollard said...

Too right. I like buskers too and also like to take photos of them.

However there is a particuarly awful busker near us, fag in mouth he plays dire elevator muzak very badly on an electronic keyboard. He sits on a little stool under the railway station underpass (placed perfectly to attract all the commuters). His hat for contributions often has quite a lot of coins in it, but I think it's simply because folk just pay him to stop playing and go away. I'll get my pic of him yet, even though he does look surly and might get cross. Watch this space.

Unknown said...

Hi, what do you think about busker's playing their own songs?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.