Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Tales Of The Riverbank.





I grew up in Clydebank.

I clearly remember the tram cars, cobbled streets, thick fog due to smoky chimneys but most vividly, skylines of swinging cranes loading and unloading goods on and off ships on the riverbanks and shipyards.

It was a great day on Sunday and I went for a cycle along what is now a great route alongside the river Clyde which passes right through the city centre. When I got to the site of the new futuristic transport museum, I spotted one on the last undeveloped stretches of the old quayside. You can still see the old rail lines that the gigantic cranes used to travel along. A pile of granite cobbles caught my eye and when I picked one up it was obvious why after all these years they were still as good as the day they were laid down.

These old B&W photos reminded me of when I was a wee boy and before you ask, no I didn't take them.

No comments: