Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Monday 9 May 2011

Ignominious End.



I have never claimed to be a musician, in fact, I can't play a note but I do like my music.

I spotted this old piano at the weekend and felt quite sad. It got me thinking of all the tunes that people would have played on it over its life and when you see the craftsmanship involved in its working parts you have to think it should have been saved.

I remember a strong man type TV show when I was a youngster where part of the act was smashing a piano with a sledgehammer into pieces small enough to fit through a small square opening. The winner was the guy who could do it the fastest. I always felt a bit uneasy at this as I couldn't see why anyone would want to do something like that to a musical instrument.

I wonder what the late great Ian Stewart would have thought.

For a guy who played on every album bar one that the Stones turned out between 1964-1986, I can imagine.

No comments: