Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Tuesday 22 May 2007

Weekend on Cumbrae.














Well, after 50 years I finally set foot on Cumbrae. I have sailed past and around both sides hundreds of times on various races over the years so it was a very enjoyable experience to finally make landfall.



I was staying at a friends beautiful seafront property in Kames Bay. The views in the morning and at the setting of the sun were
quite breathtaking.


































Millport is exactly as I imagined it would be. Very nice wee pubs, quaint shops and a very relaxing atmosphere. It takes about ten minutes on the ferry boat from Largs and
about the same again before you hit the town. The views across the Clyde to Arran and
up towards Inverkip from the highest point on the island are spectacular. It is hard to
imagine that the "big city" is only and hour away.

My wee dog had a great time and fair enjoyed the Gala Queen Parade along the main street to the town hall.The island has a local population of around 1,200 but the population can swell to around 5,000 at the hight of the season. People come over for some R&R, cycling and bird watching and maybe the odd pint or two. Maybe not quite in that order. I will certainly go back. Oh! I did meet Jim Thomson, he's a really nice person.

No comments: