Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Tuesday 11 December 2007

Scary Or What !




I was travelling into Fife recently over the Forth Road Bridge. To my right was the magnificent Forth Rail Bridge. I am probably one of the few lucky people on the planet who have ever stood at the very top of this colossus of engineering.

Back in 1998, I was commissioned by Railtrack to take photos of ongoing work and the visit of the QE2 to the River Forth. Up I went, replete with mandatory high viz, hard hat and steel boots. What a buzz! Four hundred feet above the river and standing on a platform no bigger than a snooker table I found the whole experience quite overwhelming. To my utter astonishment, I heard a voice, " How's it going mate"? From out of nowhere and walking as if he was out for a Sunday stroll was Andy. Now Andy's job title was " Rope Technician". He prowled the structure with an arrogance that beggared belief.












I had a great conversation with him. I found out that his job was to get to places
where no mere mortal would even think about going, what a guy!

He then helped me out by getting involved in some set up stuff. I couldn't believe my luck and in the middle of all this, his phone rang. " Sorry mate, can't talk right now I'm getting my photos taken". Unbelievable.

Anyway it turned out really well for us both. I had a contract with the Sunday Mirror in those days to cover soccer matches on Saturday. They were running a series of "Men In High Places" features and the editor phoned shortly after this shoot asking if I had anything suitable. We both earned a few extra bob but Andy was without a doubt, the star man.

No comments: