Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Thursday 3 April 2008

Shine A Light.





Now this is a completely biased blog entry. Everyone who knows me is well aware of my love of the Rolling Stones. One of the first albums I ever bought was High Tide and Green Grass. This album was released in 1966 and was even then, a "Big Hits " album. I would be ten years old and I still have it in my vinyl collection.

Let's get on to this Scorsese masterpiece. I was at the premier last night in Glasgow and I am still recovering. It was the nearest thing to a live gig I have ever witnessed, even the audience were whooping and applauding. I sometimes think I am getting old, well after seeing this movie, I have changed my mind about that. To see the energy of Mick, Ronnie, Keith and Charlie in full flow and up close was quite mind boggling. I was tired just watching them. The camera angles and close ups have to be seen to be believed.

The highlight for me was the guest appearance of Buddy Guy. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and you could clearly see the respect they had for him. Keith handed him his guitar as he left the stage. Brilliant!

The best one liner of the film came from a B&W interview back in 1972 in America. A young, fresh faced Mick was asked.... "Do you think you'll still be doing this when you are 60"? His instant reply, " Yea, easily". Scorsese, then immediately cut to a full frame head shot of him at full throttle from today. What a piece of editing!

In my opinion, the Rolling Stones are the greatest rock & roll band in history. Formed in 1962 and still touring, who else can come near them ? I've seen them many times live and they just seem to get better and better. Here are some shots I took of Mick and Keith from Hampden, Glasgow, in 1990 and as you can see, even then, they were full on and every gig on the tour was a sell out.

Shine A Light is a must see film on the big screen, right from the front and right in the middle. Do not miss this film.

No comments: