Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Tuesday 6 January 2009

The Big Freeze ?



Every few years, along come the headlines, "Arctic Conditions Hit The Country" etc.

I don't get it.

What does everyone expect in December and January in the UK, blazing sunshine ? I know it makes conditions difficult but you would think it was some kind of new phenomenon never before experienced.

I found these old coloured slides of my late mother, sister and me on a frozen Loch Lomond way back in 1962. I remember it vividly and thought it was magical. Check out my grannies hand knitted balaclava, brilliant!

In fact balaclava's are so good that even the Arctic Monkeys, for obvious reasons, have written a tune about them.

I was working on the local papers the last time the Loch froze solid, it must have been around 1980. Whilst taking photographs of children playing next to the hull of the completely ice locked " Maid of the Loch", I noticed a motorbike way in the distance coming straight for where I was standing. It was the chef from the Ardlui Hotel at the top of the loch. He had ridden his bike all the way down on top of the ice. I'll bet there are not a lot of people who have ever done that.

Compared to those two winters, I would say it is quite mild in comparison.

No comments: