Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Thursday 29 January 2009

John Martyn 11.9.48 - 29.1.09



I was saddened today to hear of the death of John Martyn.

I know the word legend is often used to describe a person at this time but I'm sure there is no one out there who would disagree that he was among the very few who truly is deserving of that accolade.

From my early teens, I was a fan. I remember buying Solid Air, the title track being a tribute to his close friend, the genius that was Nick Drake who died in 1974.

I was one of the lucky few to hear him play a secret gig at the Bein Inn back in April 2007.

He played the whole of Solid Air to about forty of us. Although it was obvious he was not enjoying the best of health, the twinkle in his eye was self evident and he was clearly enjoying himself. The highlight for me had to be his rendition of May You Never. His mastery of the guitar was quite breathtaking.

Here are a couple of shots from that gig.

1 comment:

Tonykaku said...

i just got home from Charlotte, North Carolina. on the 5 hour flight back home to LA, i listened to Solid Air. and thought "solid air while flying thru starlit air". i had no idea of the passing of John Martyn. thank for letting me (your blog fans) know. i am sure Tom will say something on tomorrow's show.