Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Monday 19 April 2010

End Of An Era.





Nothing is forever, I must stop saying that but it is true.

On Sunday, the Glasgow Transport Museum at the Kelvin Hall shut its doors for the last time before the big relocation to the new state of the art premises next year on the banks of the Clyde. It looks good to me

I don't know how many times I visited the place when my boys were growing up as they never tired of going and it was a great escape on a wet weekend. I can even remember going to the original transport museum on the south side which is now the Tramway.

On Sunday there was an emotional gathering rounded off with speeches and at 5.00 pm, a piper played everyone out and the doors were shut for the last time. It was a fantastic city attraction but I'm sure the new one will be just as good.

It'll be interesting to see if there will be a charge to get in. One of the things that visitors to the city can never understand is why the museums and art galleries are free to enter.

No comments: