Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Sunday 9 September 2007

The Glasgow Tower Experience.






What an experience it is! The tour starts at the bottom of the tower where you are shown how the entire structure, 150 tons in all, sits on a bed of lubricant and steel no bigger
than the circumference of a frying pan, absolutely ingenious. You then ascend by lift, some 120 meters, in under two minutes before arriving at the top. The views are spectacular.

During December of 2000, I went up in the supply basket from the even taller support crane to take shots before the viewing deck was hoisted into place. This was a seriously scary experience. The basket was about two square meters and the assent was totally noiseless. The ground literally vanished from under my feet. Before I knew what was going on, I was hanging by a thread some 130 meters above ground. My poor brain could hardly cope with what was going on. The mandatory wearing of a hard hat had me laughing. Well, maybe not on reflection.

At £6.50 a trip it is the bargain of the century, get yourself up there and take a camera.

No comments: