Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Wednesday 16 September 2009

Bang Bang You're Terry Reid.



I went to see Terry Reid at the Winchester in Glasgow recently.

Now who is Terry Reid I hear you ask, well so did I. I had a vague recollection but it was my old pal Tom who filled me in and if you are an aspiring musician take note.

Back at the end of the sixties a certain Jimmy Page was looking for a vocalist for the New Yardbirds which went on to become Led Zeppelin and asked Terry to join up but he had already committed to touring the USA with the Stones in 1969. He did however recommend a young Birmingham vocalist Robert Plant as a suitable candidate. Shortly after that he turned down the offer to join Deep Purple when they decided to replace Rod Evan. Ian Gillan got the job. The rest as they say, is history.

He was still enjoying himself and his voice still sounded great. Have a listen to him at Glastonbury in 1971 and you'll hear why he was in demand.

No comments: