Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Tuesday 15 September 2009

Keith Floyd 1943-2009.


I only met Keith Floyd once, what an experience!

Back in September 2000, I was commisioned to take a photo of him, the manager and the head chef at the Sheraton Hotel in Edinburgh. The chef had won a major accolade, Keith was in town filming and the photo shoot was set up.

"Now he's not in a good mood so don't hang around", I was told by his publicist. I set up my lights, got the manager and chef ready and quickly got the shots required. It was all over in two minutes, if that.

I noticed that his entourage quickly disappeared and I started taking down my lights. A few moments later I heard that gravelly voice, "It looks like you and me are the only ones left snapper, do you fancy a swifty" ? Well, why not I thought to myself where's the harm.

Within ten minutes I had knocked back several drams with him at the bar and an hour later I realised that driving was completely out of the question, walking in a straight line was also going to prove difficult. I can't really remember what we talked about but I do remember him waxing lyrical about The Stranglers.

I'll always remember my short time with him. He was a fantastic character but I wonder how many people could keep up with him.

Not a lot I reckon.

I certainly couldn't.

No comments: