Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Sunday 25 November 2007

The Big Apple.








I was put onto a great radio station in New York by a well known broadcasting pal of mine, who will remain nameless in case he gets the sack. East Village Radio is very, very, very, good. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is, the musical mix just seems to work. Don't take my word for it, have a listen.

I suppose my curiosity could be clouded as I spent some time in the Village
when I was in New York in the 80's. All sorts of things were going on but music was everywhere. I went to the legendary CBGB as you were guaranteed a great time.
When you look at the bands who have played there you will see what I mean.

Everything about New York is big and when I was looking through some of my old B&W photos I was reminded of the fragile world we live in. From the top of the Empire State Building, you can clearly see the World Trade Centre. I also had a meal in a beautiful restaurant at the top of one of the towers, the views over the Hudson and East River were spectacular.

The best way to get about was undoubtedly the Subway. All right, let's forget all the scare stories about never coming out after going in. Like any big city anywhere, there are certain places at certain times you wouldn't care to frequent but for getting about Manhattan it couldn't be beaten. Just about every street corner has a station access, down you go and you're off. If you haven't been to New York, go.

No comments: