Todays Picture

Todays Picture
Squinty Bridge Glasgow

Monday 19 November 2007

What Can You Buy For £ 390.00 ?


A new fridge, a pair of shoes, a night in a posh hotel, the list is endless.

Not for my old pal Tom. His weakness, old petrol cars. He was down from Shetland over the weekend and arrived in his latest acquisition. "What do you think ? Got it from a guy in Clarkston" he said. I have to admit, it did look like one of his better buys and believe me I've seen a few in my time.

We drove down to Clydebank to pick up his mountain bike which he had been storing in my garage over the summer. Jings, the boot was so big, the bike never touched the sides. It was like going back to the old days right enough. No computerised engine management system in this beauty. It was a bit like traveling along on an old comfy sofa.

It is astonishing that you can buy something so big for that kind of money. Yes, according to Tom it was the last real Volvo and it had blacked out windows which made it look quite sinister and intimidating. It also had a great name, a Volvo Torslanda.
(I'll bet that's Swedish for very big or massive or huge or cavernous.)

I hope it makes the journey to Shetland safely, where I'm sure it will feel right at home. That only leaves one question. What happens when it blows its final gasket ? Will it be floated out to sea on a blazing longboat, or buried in the nearest peat bog ?

No comments: